Saturday, September 1, 2018

Over My Head


 "No time is passing outside you at all. It is amazing.
 The late ballet below is slow motion,
 the overbroad movements of mimes in blue jelly.
 If you wanted you could really stay here forever,
 vibrating inside so fast you float motionless in time,
 like a bee over something sweet."
 David Foster Wallace, Forever Overhead

 
A gasp, a wheeze, silicone tears:
 How long was I under?

 The disorienting brawl of whitecaps,
 One dissenting heart-
 beat: How much of this
 did I ingest? How long

 till I forget my own weight;
 feel my skin scrubbed
 clean by the silver water,
 feed my calloused worries to
 the doctor fish, dissolve
 into silver sky; rise again

 as the sun begins to set.
 A sweet force, a forgiveness,
 a reprieve no one deserves
 and everyone ought
 to accept gracefully
 in their cupped, empty hands.

No comments: